MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

Rover 75

Temperature gauge & cooling fan problem

Unread postby alanwheaton » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I have a Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 1.8 turbo petrol on an 03 plate, which I have owned for about 14 months. During the last month on several occasions the temperature gauge has dropped to cold without warning. When this happens the cooling fan is on constantly and curiously the radiator expansion tank is COLD. I can remove the top and there doesn't seem to be any pressure. If I turn the engine off for a couple of minutes the fan stops and on restarting the engine, the expansion tank starts to warm up and the temperature gauge returns to normal and reads dead centre. There is no logic to when this happens. I can go on a 100 mile run without any problem, but then on a short run to the local car wash, the symptoms appeared while the car was idling as it was being cleaned. There is no loss of coolant. I hope somebody is able to suggest what might be causing this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies, Alan.
alanwheaton
MGR Club Noob

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm

i have had a very similar issue, I changed the temp sensor, thermostat and housing, then changed the rad, all seems ok now tho.
i think issue was the stat and the radiator leak was just a coincidence
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:36 pm

as the temp needle isnt the most reliable, have you done an IPK test? when engine on, long press the mileage reset button, then take it to number 19, leave for a second, the choose OF with another press, then press till you get to option 7.
This will give to a digital temp readout, its more accurate
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby alanwheaton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks for your reply to my problem. My local garage seem to think the most likely cause of the problem is related to the temperature sensor. I have booked the car in for them to investigate it next week. If that doesn't solve the problem I will ask them to check the thermostat and leave changing the radiator as a last resort.
Regards, Alan
alanwheaton
MGR Club Noob

Unread postby alanwheaton » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 am

As I said in my previous post I had booked my car in at my local garage for them to check the temperature sensor. It seems the problem was just the connection to the sensor. After disconnecting it and cleaning the plug and checking the condition of the wiring all seems well now, as the temperature gauge has worked as it should in the 3 weeks since the job was done.
alanwheaton
MGR Club Noob

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Thats good to hear. Goes to show. Keep em clean lol
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to Rover 75