MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

Announcements

Log on issues

Do not skip....Please do read here for all important forum announcements.

Unread postby Mal7921 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am

There appears to be an issue logging on where you can see you are logging onto the forum then once at the forum index page you appear to have been logged out again. As it turns out, often you are shown as logged in, yet the browser shows you as an anonymous guest. This was originally an issue with Internet Explorer and while this now appears to be fixed, it has caused issues with other browsers on occasion as a result.

In an attempt to solve this, I've made a few changes on the way cookie information is stored and information on the sites domain, so hopefully this will help resolve it. I'll also be doing an upgrade on the forum software to see if this also helps to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, the workaround is to erase your browsers cache. Depending on your browser the way to do this is as follows:

Internet Explorer

Press the Alt key to get the menu, go to the tools menu and select Internet Options.

Capture1.PNG

On the General tab, click on Delete.

Capture2.PNG

Personally I have quite a lot selected, you don't need all of these selected but you will need Temporary Internet and Website files and Cookies and Website Data selected (Ideally untick leave favourite websites data as well, otherwise if this site is in your favourites, this will have no effect). Click on Delete and you should then be able to log onto the site normally

Microsoft Edge

This is similar to the above, however you need to click on the menu option on the right
Capture3.PNG
, this shows a drop down menu. At the bottom of this menu is Settings , select this and you will be given a number of settings options:

Capture4.PNG

Click on Choose what to clear and you will see the following:

Capture5.PNG

As with Internet Explorer, select to delete cookies and saved website data , along with cached data and files, then click on Clear. Once done, you will be able to log into the site normally.

Firefox (And Seamonkey if anyone is testing that)

This is the same as the Microsoft browsers, however the location for the options is in a different place. In Preferences (Which is in different places depending if you are running on Android, Linux, OS X or Windows) you need to go to the Privacy settings, then click on Delete recent history. From there you can delete cookies. You may (Depending on your current version of Firefox) have the option of deleting specific cookies, if you have this, delete the cookie marked as either MGR-Forums.com or phpbb3forum. This should then allow you to log in normally.

The problem with Microsoft's browsers is that they require the domain path to be in the Cookie, which other browsers don't really care about, however putting this in breaks Firefox. I've put the necessary information into the Cookies so this issue should not occur again. If Chrome/Safari or Opera become affected, which they may well be as cache and cookies expire over time, the solution is to clear the cookie and log back in, the correct path will then be stored.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Mal7921 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:21 am

Found and fixed another issue with Internet Explorer remembering login details when going from forum to front screen then back to forum. Login from internet explorer now appears to be working normally. If anyone is still having persistent problems, please try the above method then try logging in again.

This will continue to be tested and monitored
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:10 am

(mgrclub) Mal you are a star, the forum software is a bugger and I am so grateful that you are here to fix any little issues, also I am aware that the input you have does prevent issues too, to a big thankyou is needed, thankyou (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Mal7921 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:09 am

Updated with Windows 10 Microsoft Edge images
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Mal7921 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:31 am

Baconbuttyman wrote:(mgrclub) Mal you are a star, the forum software is a bugger and I am so grateful that you are here to fix any little issues, also I am aware that the input you have does prevent issues too, to a big thankyou is needed, thankyou (mgrclub)

You're welcome :)

The forum software was never designed for true ease of use, but it is way better than the first generation systems I used to use. vBullitin is highly regarded, but is a pain to set up and get right.

IF they get the advertising mods set up for phpBB 3.1, I'll look at upgrading the forum, but for now we would lose a lot more than we would gain by upgrading to 3.1

I'm looking at what the new 3.0.x update to our system offers, to be honest it is not a huge amount that changes and I doubt it will solve the issue with IE/Edge
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Mal7921 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Updated to reflect recent changes to the system that may affect Firefox users.
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Wullie480 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Took a few attempts for me to log in tonight (shrug)

Was on my iphone via safari though (shrug)
Made in Scotland from Girders ><

Cars: 2 x MG ZT CDTi's

MOT & Tax check https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

MG Rover build info: http://mg-rover.info/get_info.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Report potholes,lightening faults etc - http://www.fixmystreet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Mal7921 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I've not had issue here with iPhone or iPad (iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9 beta), had the cookie issue affected these I'd have lost my login.

Did you see any error message at all?
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:09 pm

I SEEM TO HAVE LOGGED IN ON -----immersive BROWSER-------------whatever that is ??????

I've been locked out for DAYS even though my name appears on the forum as if I'm logged in.

So, so annoying. I stumbled on this way of getting in by accident and I'll have to wait and see if it will work again next time I try to log in.

Goodbye for now--------------------and maybe for ever.---------------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry !!! Got a bit hysterical there.------------------ (bang head against a wall)
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby Mal7921 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:21 pm

That will be Internet Explorer in Windows 8... Clearing cookies and the cache files should fix it. So far I've not come across an instance where it won't and with any luck, once this has been done, there won't be any logon issues again.

BTW, the Firefox problems are a side effect of fixing Internet Exploder, the only browsers that don't seem to have an issue are Chrome (Security mess), opera, Safari and Camino which are all based on the same system.
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Borg Warner » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 am

Ha

Don't get rid of me that easily.

Thanks Mick and Mal.

Gary M.
MG Stands for its self and not Morris Garages. As CK said "...there was already one Morris Garages, how could there be two?"
Borg Warner
Subscribed Member

Unread postby Mal7921 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:36 am

Borg Warner wrote:Ha

Don't get rid of me that easily.

Thanks Mick and Mal.

Gary M.

:-D
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:48 am

Nearly got rid of me though. (sensor)

My only way in is through------IMMERSIVE BROWSER------------I get in but can't answer individual posts or use coloured print or change print sizes.------------------------------ (bang head against a wall) (bang head against a wall) (bang head against a wall)

Every other forum I use I have no problems at all, just our forum.----------------Very strange.-- (shrug) (shrug) (shrug)
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby COLVERT » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:09 am

I've just logged on using my older computer which has Windows 7 running.

It seems to work well. I just can't log on with Windows 8.1

As I previously said I can get onto all the other forums I visit with 8.1----------Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work with just this particular forum ???

It used to work well here but I think somebody has been messing about with the switches in Mick's shed.-- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there anyone else having trouble logging on ???---Please tell us if you are.

Colvert.--- (panic)
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby Mal7921 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:23 pm

The other way to clear the history is to go into Control panel from the desktop, enable all icons (Either large icons or small icons) then go into Internet Options. Not sure how it would look in Windows 8.1 as my Windows 8.1 laptop died a few months back and our techies laptop has just been upgraded to Windows 10
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Mal7921 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Updated info at the top of the page
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:59 pm

COLVERT wrote:I SEEM TO HAVE LOGGED IN ON -----immersive BROWSER-------------whatever that is ??????

I've been locked out for DAYS even though my name appears on the forum as if I'm logged in.

So, so annoying. I stumbled on this way of getting in by accident and I'll have to wait and see if it will work again next time I try to log in.

Goodbye for now--------------------and maybe for ever.---------------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry !!! Got a bit hysterical there.------------------ (bang head against a wall)

Back on my old computer. ( About as fast as a geriatric snail. )

I seem to have lost the IMMERSIVE BROWSER option on my new computer now.--- (sensor) (sensor) (sensor)
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:03 pm

are you sure its the computer thats slow hehehe
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Baconbuttyman wrote:are you sure its the computer thats slow hehehe

You'll be pleased to know----------------------

----I'm BACK.------------------- (clap) (clap) (clap) [/color]
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm

didnt realize you had gon anywhere (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) :lol: :lol: :lol:
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Baconbuttyman wrote:didnt realize you had gone anywhere (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just go up two or three posts------------------------- (Punch) (Punch) (Punch) (Punch) (Punch)

I didn't actually GO---------------------Just almost.--------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:17 pm

COLVERT wrote:
Baconbuttyman wrote:didnt realize you had gone anywhere (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (getmecoat) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just go up two or three posts------------------------- (Punch) (Punch) (Punch) (Punch) (Punch)

I didn't actually GO---------------------Just almost.--------- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats why i didnt miss you (mgrclub) (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to Announcements